Biggest Deals, The Top Performing Shares — London 2017 In Lists
Want to get a jump-start on upcoming deals? Meet the major London players at one of our upcoming events!
Everyone loves an end-of-year list, so here are the lists which tell you everything you need to know about London real estate in 2017.
Top 5 Investment Deals
Although trophy office buildings dominated the headlines, significant deals were also struck for hotels and prime residential development schemes, according to Real Capital Analytics.
- 20 Fenchurch St., £1.3B, bought by Lee Kim Keen from a consortium including Landsec and Canary Wharf Group
- The Leadenhall Building, £1.15B, bought by CC Land from British Land and Oxford Properties
- The Grosvenor House Hotel, £550M, bought by Ashkenazy Acquisition from Sahara India Pariwar
- Cannon Place, £485M, bought by Deka from Hines and HSH Nordbank
- Nine Elms Square residential development site, £470M, bought by R&F Properties and CC Land from St. Modwen and Vinci
Top 5 Buyers
Deka is the only company to break the hegemony of Asian investors spurred on by the fall in the pound, according to RCA.
Top 5 Sellers
Brookfield and Blackstone cashed in on acquisitions made during the last few years and U.K. REITs returned cash to shareholders.
- Brookfield, £887M
- Landsec, £760M
- Blackstone, £690M
- British Land and Oxford Properties, £590M each
- M&G, £445M
5 Biggest Leasing Deals
Co-working companies leased the most overall, but a bank still took top spot in 2017, according to JLL.
- Deutsche Bank leased 495K SF from Landsec at 21 Moorfields in the City
- Aegis leased 310K SF from British Land at 1 Triton Square north of the West End
- WeWork leased 283K SF from Almacantar at 2 Southbank Place near Waterloo
- HMRC leased 270K SF from Westfield at Stratford City
- Freshfields leased 251K SF from Brookfield at 100 Bishopsgate in the City
5 Biggest Buildings Opened In 2017
According to data from Deloitte, development manager Stanhope had one heck of a year.
- Bloomberg Place in the City, 669 SF, built by Bloomberg and Stanhope and occupied by Bloomberg
- Principal Place in the City, 602K SF, built by Brookfield and occupied by Amazon
- Angel Court in the City, 300K SF, built by Mitsui Fudosan and Stanhope, occupied by tenants including BUPA and the British Bankers Association
- The Westworks in White City, 296K SF, built by Mitsui Fudosan, Stanhope and Aimco, occupied by ITV
- The International Quarter S6, 286K SF, built by Lendlease, LCR and Legal & General, occupied by Transport for London
5 Best-Performing Real Estate Shares
Not an office or retail firm in sight as the listed sector was dominated by industrial and self-storage companies, according to data from Green Street and Bloomberg.
- Safestore, total return 46%
- Segro, 36%
- Big Yellow, 28%
- Hansteen, 28%
- Workspace, 23%
5 Biggest Funds Raised In Europe In 2017
Blackstone unsurprisingly raised more capital in Europe than anyone else, according to Preqin, but regional managers like Orion and Palmira also fared well.
- Blackstone Real Estate Partners Europe V, €7.8B
- Palmira Logistik Europa Fonds, €1.5B
- Orion European Real Estate Fund V, €1.5B
- Pramerica Real Estate Capital VI, £1B
- DRC European Real Estate Debt Fund III, £600M